COMPLEX SENTENCES
A complex sentence is a
sentence with an independent clause and at least one dependent clause. The
dependent clause is introduced by either a subordinate conjunction (such as
although, while, or because) or a relative pronoun (such as who or which).
Ø Simple :My friend invited me to a party. I do not want to go.
Ø Compound :My friend invited me to a party, but I do not want to go.
Ø Complex :Although my friend invited me to a party, I do not want
to go.
A complex sentence is very
different from a simple sentence or a compound sentence because it makes clear
which ideas are most important.
v Examples:
1.
Although Tom reads novels,
Jack reads comics.
2.
When he was younger, Mike
had many dogs.
3.
Many people enjoyed the
movie; however, William did not.
Conjunctions
& Pronouns
Subordinating Conjunctions:
TIME : after, before, when, while, since, until.
CAUSE & EFFECT
: because, since,
now that, as, in order that, so.
OPPOSITION : although, though, even though, whereas, while.
CONDITION : if, unless, only if, whether or not, even if, in case
(that)
RELATIVE PRONOUNS : who, whoever, whom, whomever, which ,whichever, that.
Example
°
Although Tom reads
novels, Jack reads comics.
°
When he was younger, Tom
had many comics.
°
Many people enjoy reading; however, Jack does not.
°
I like the book that you bought yesterday.
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar